Thursday, October 10, 2013

DIY Bench

Like I've said before, apartments = a lot of big blank walls and spaces. I wanted to make a low bench to take up some space. I also wanted to provide some more seating. I don't usually have a ton of visitors, but my friends and I have a bible study that takes place at my apartment sometimes. A decoration that doubles as optional seating is an A-plus in my book!




The only tools I needed to make this bench were a screwdriver and scissors. That's a good thing, because those are pretty much the only tools I know how to use :) The total cost was around $40. Here's how I did it: 

I bought 4 pre-made screw-top legs from Lowe's for $6 each. I then bought wood that was pre-cut to 12''x48", this cost around $10. This is a pretty narrow bench, by the way. So if you are bigger than me and my 5'2" friends, you might want to get one that's a little wider than 12". 

I purchased the fabric and quilt batting from Hobby Lobby. The home decor fabric seems to always be 30% off. When I am in the check out lanes at Hobby Lobby, I always google search on my phone for "Hobby Lobby coupon." The Hobby Lobby website has a weekly "40% off one item" coupon that you can use on anything in the store. Great deal!


I used a staple gun to secure the batting and fabric to the wood.


Then I used a screwdriver to screw these plates into the wood. I then put a light coat of antique white paint on the legs... and screwed the legs right into the plates. 





No comments:

Post a Comment